Tuesday, March 10, 2009

It's my first time...

This is my first time to blog. I have been following blogs for a while and decided that this is a good way to document our life and share with family and friends.

My husband, Rick is my favorite person in the whole world and the love of my life. In May we will celebrate 24 years of marriage. He makes me laugh and he keeps me sane especially when the world around us turns upside down. I love him more than words can say. He loves everything about the game of golf, and is the hardest worker I know. Rick is one of only 2 people on this planet that are allowed to call me Susie, the other is my Sigma Kappa big sis Katrina who has called me Suzy-Q since the day I pledged in September of 1978.

Our daughter, Sydney was born in 2000 after 15 years of marriage. No infertility, just Rick's daughters that were keeping us on our toes (and still do). Also I have a problem with procrastination and at 39 I decided that it was now or never. That little 5 lb 8 oz girl rocked our world in ways we never imagined and we love her with every ounce of our being. She loves her daddy but she is a total mama's girl which was a surprise because I didn't know there was any such thing.

In 2006, After 18 years working as an executive assistant for an electronics retailer in Fort Worth I decided to stay home with my daughter Sydney. My friends say "retired" but I prefer not to use that term because it makes me feel old. Sydney was about to begin Kindergarten at a private Christian school and I just couldn't bear not being a part of her school days journey. Besides, the pace and circumstances of my job had become more than a little annoying. Little did I know that a few years later I would be home schooling her.

I loved my new life. I was at her school nearly every day volunteering, substituting, driving for field trips and being a leader on the Spiritual Life Team, a mom's prayer group where I met some of my dearest friends. When I asked God to give me godly women as friends He answered with a boat load. Her school was adjacent to our church so my favorite day of the week was Wednesday beginning with attending her chapel and then going to my Bible study class.

Sydney sailed through Kindergarten but early in 1st grade she began to struggle with reading and math. She became very anxious and stressed out within a couple of weeks of beginning school. Homework! Who decided that 7 year olds need 3 hours of home work! Well, it was probably 45 minutes worth, but for us it took hours. Long story short, we had Sydney tested and she has Dyslexia which causes her to have trouble mostly with reading and math and it was eventually decided that we would home school her.

Homeschooling is not a route that I ever thought I would take, in fact I pretty much though those people are nuts...but it became clear to us that this was going to be the best choice for our family and we love it! It was also a blessing when I had unexpected surgery in November to repair a hernia. This was my 3rd surgery in a little over a year but that's an even longer story. The best thing about homeschooling is that it is extemely flexible. After a week of recovery, we started school in my bed with books and lapboards spread out everywhere. I didn't have to stress about how she would get to school and back home. My having surgery stresses my daughter out like crazy so it was great for her to be here with me and not worried about me at school . I need to mention that I have an amazing mom who is beautiful and young...well to have a 49 year old daughter that is. With all three surgeries she came over and kept my house going...much better than I do as well. She cooked, cleaned, laundered, vacuumed and dealt with Sydney etc. She is a life saver and a wonderful mom.

1 comment:

  1. I love it! Great job. You will have to tell funny Rick stories too. Ha!

    Go to scrapblog.com and you can design a super cute header as well.

    ReplyDelete